These are very soft, crumbly and melt- in- the -mouth kind of delicacies. It has rich cornmeal flavour and it is neither a cookie nor a cake and is very mildly sweet. It does not need any side dishes like butter or jam and one can enjoy it as it is with a cup of tea or coffee.
All-purpose flour- 1 cup
Cornmeal- ¾ cup
Butter- 100 grams
Dried cranberries- ½ cup
Baking powder – ¾ teaspoon
Baking soda- ¾ teaspoon
Salt – ¼ teaspoon
Sugar – ½ cup
Buttermilk – ½ cup (chilled)
Topping – Sugar crystals
- Preheat oven at 170 C
- Take one mixer jar or food processor. Put all the dry ingredients like flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Dry grind all these for a couple of rounds.
- Chop the butter into bite size pieces and add. Again dry grind until flour becomes crumbly and wet.
- Add buttermilk and run the food processor. The dough will become a little sticky.
- Line the cookie tray with butter paper.
- Drop the dough into lined cookie tray either by using spoon or ice cream scoop.
- Sprinkle some sugar on top and bake this in a pre-heated oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
- It yielded 15 scones for me and I have used small ice cream scoop to scoop out the dough.