Makara sankranti is over and you may have left over Ellu Bella which you got from your near and dear ones during distribution to each other.
Usually there will be no takers for this after two days of festival. Even I had some left over sesame mixture and tried this Indian Chikki or energy bar from these power packed ingredients.
This mixture usually has lots of sesame seed, which is a high iron source, peanuts, coconut bits etc.
Left over ellu bella mix – as much as you have
Sugar – 3 to 4 spoons (What I took)
Butter – 1 table spoon
Cardamom powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Separate Sugar blocks as well as jaggery chunks from the mixture.
- Take one thick bottomed vessel; add all these jaggery and sugar chunks as well as extra sugar with butter.
- Heat this by constant stirring, until it becomes caramelised liquid.
- Immediately mix in the rest of the sesame mixture and cardamom powder mix nicely to coat caramel liquid uniformly.
- Spread this on a clean kitchen counter or butter paper laid baking tray and press this nicely till it is uniformly flat.
- You can use either pav bhaji masher or roti belan to press this mix.
- Make a mark when it is hot by using sharp knife.
- When it is cool, store this in an airtight container.