Here is a simple recipe of a popular snack Chakli / Chakkuli.
(Makes 18 chaklis of above size)
All purpose flour(Maida)- 2 cups
Carom seeds(Ajwain)-½ tsp
Cumin seeds(Whole Jeera)-½ tsp
Red chilly powder-½ tsp
Salt-as per taste (I used around 1½ tsp)
Water-1 cup approx.
Oil- around ½ tbsp to prepare dough and around 500 ml to deep fry
- In a cooking vessel add all purpose flour.
- Cover it with a kitchen towel followed by a lid and place it in a pressure cooker filled with water in the bottom to steam cook the flour. Cook for 15 mins.
- Once done, break the lump of flour formed and then sieve it using a sieve.
- To that add red chilly powder.
- Add salt.
- Add cumin seeds and carom seeds.
- Add ½ tbsp oil to the flour mixture.
- Now mix well the flour mixture with oil.
- Adding water prepare a stiff dough, cover and keep.
- Now set the chakli press, use the star shaped nozzle.
- Place a portion of the dough in it.
- Start pressing the chaklis on to a baking paper or aluminium foil.
- Heat oil to deep fry the chaklis. Once hot drop the chaklis one by one into the hot oil.
- Cook them in medium flame till the slush sound stops.
- Drain them and drop them to a paper towel.Once cooled, transfer them to an airtight container.Stays well for a week or more. Enjoy them with Indian masala chai.
- Red chilly powder is optional,could be avoided too.
- You can use green chilly paste instead of red chilly powder also.
- Fry in medium flame to get them well cooked deep inside.
- Double the measurements when you want in large quantities. Also the amount of time to steam cook flour must be doubled,