All parents want the best for their bundle of joy. I prepared this homemade cerelac for my niece and she loved it! I’m very conscious about what I feed my family. So I prepared this homemade nutritious cerelac, devoid of all the chemicals, preservatives. I hope this recipe helps/motivates new moms to prepare homemade cerelac for their bundle of joys.
This cerelac is a wholesome food as it has got all the necessary nutrients along with immunity enhancing Ashwaghanda along with gas releasing Vavding. You can see the uses of vavding here -http://pharmaveda.com/kb/Vidanga.html
Rice – 250g
Green Moong -200g
Brown rice – 125g
Whole Wheat -125g
Finger millet /Ragi – 60g
Toordal/pigeon peas – 50g
Dried green peas-50g
Ashwagandha -1 piece (if it is powder add 1 tsp.)
Vavding- 6 -8
Fenugreek seed – ¼ tsp.
Cumin seed- ½ tsp.
Black raisins- 3
Nutmeg- 1 small piece
Dry date – 2
Cashew – 2
- Measure all the ingredients, wash (rice, dal, peas, whole wheat and ragi) them under running water and dry them under the sun for a day or two.
- After drying, add other ingredients and powder them and store it in an airtight container.
- While feeding, heat ¼ cup of water, in a bowl mix 1 or 2 spoons of cerelac powder in a little cold water to remove lumps.
- Now cook this by stirring in a low flame, when it is cooked, it becomes little shiny and thick, you can remove from the fire and add 2 tsp. of milk to adjust consistency.
- To this, you can add either jagerry or rock candy or for flavors can also add mashed banana, apple puree or strawberry puree.
- If you want savory version, you can add little salt and tsp of curd.
If properly stored shelf life of this homemade cerelac powder is 3 months outside and upto 6 months in the fridge.
Vavding and Ashwagandha are available in all major Pooja item store (Grandhige shop) Or any Ayurveda shop.