Genasale is coconut and jaggery filled steamed kadubu or steamed rice cake, usually folded and steam cooked in banana leaves. Banana leaf gives beautiful aroma and a good taste to this Genasale. Genasale is prepared using few basic ingredients but the end result is mouthwatering, everyone’s favorite dish.
In my ancestral home, Navaratri/Dasara is celebrated by worshiping Goddess Durga. This Genasale is the main offering to the Goddess during night pooja. I still vividly remember waiting for this Genasale prasadam to be served, while having a scrumptious traditional dinner. Now let us learn how to prepare this Genasale or kayi kadubu (kayi = coconut).
Dosa rice /white rice – 2 cups
Grated coconut – 1 cup
Grated Jaggery – ½ cup (to taste).
Ghee/ Clarified butter – 4 tsp.
Salt to taste
- Wash dosa rice and soak it for 2 to 3 hours.
- Grind soaked rice in to a fine paste with minimal water and salt.
- Batter should be a little thick but of spreadable consistency.
- Add 2 tea spoon of ghee and mix nicely, keep aside.
- Now prepare filling by mixing coconut, jaggery, and little ghee and mix everything nicely. keep it aside.
- Now take banana leaf, hold this on a gas flame (for wilting), then clean it with a wet cloth.
- Now take one spoon of rice batter ,apply on banana leaf like a thin dosa
- Take one spoon of jaggery mixture and Spread it over the thin dosa and fold the banana leaf like a pocket.
- Steam cook for 30 min.
- Serve this Genasale with dollop of Ghee and Enjoy.