Learn how to prepare a popular Gujarati sweet Rawa aur Mawa Gujiya. You can enhance it by adding finely chopped dry fruits like cashews, almonds, pistachios, raisins and even dates.
All purpose flour/Maida- 2 1/2 cups
Water- 1/2 cup
Salt- a pinch
Fine rava/fine semolina- 1 1/2 cup
Mawa/khova- 3/4 cup (Home made mawa/khova recipe)
Cardamom powder and nutmeg powder mix- 1/2 tsp.
Fine Sugar- 2 cups
Ghee- 1/4 cup
Oil to fry
- Take all purpose flour in a bowl, add a pinch of salt.
- Warm the ghee a little and add warm ghee to the all purpose flour in a bowl and mix well.
- Now add water little by little and knead to form a stiff and soft dough.
- Keep aside for 30 minutes an later prepare small balls out of it.Keep it covered to prevent drying out.
- Add ghee in a pan and to that add fine semolina and fry in a medium heat till aroma comes out and rawness is almost gone.
- Then add mava and let it get roasted for another 5 mins.
- Add sugar to it and again mix well in low flame for another 5 mins.
- Now take it off the flame.
- Add cardamom powder and nutmeg powder mix to the pan and mix well. Let the filling cool down.
Filling and preparing ghughras/gujiyas with video[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGa3zihoWFE]
- Take one small ball out and roll small oval shaped pooris out of them.
- Take the poori shaped disc on your palm.
- Now add enough filling to the centre.
- Fold it to form a semi circle shape and seal properly.
- Now comes the art work. For that having sealed edges, just pinch the one end of the edge.
- Fold it over.
- Perform that till you reach other sealed end.
- Now attractive ghugras or gujiyas are ready to be fried.
- Similarly prepare 3-4 and begin to fry.
- Heat enough oil in a wok.Once hot add the gujiyas into it and deep fry in medium heat so that they will be crunchy.
- Now crunchy gujiyas are ready to serve with inner filling just melting in mouth.
- Fry in low to medium oil to get a crispy outer covering.
- Make a stiff dough to avoid too much absorption of oil.