An apple pie is a fruit pie in which the principal filling ingredient is apple. It is sometimes served with whipped cream or ice cream on top, or alongside cheddar cheese. Wikipedia
Ingredients for Short crust pastry dough:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour,1 tsp salt,2 tsp granulated sugar
1 cup cold (chilled) butter cut into small pieces,4-6 tbsp of ice water
For the Filling:
6 to 8 (Granny Smith or Delicious), peeled & cut into 1/4 inch small pieces.
1/2 cup light brown sugar,1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2-1 tsp ground cinnamon,4 tsp cornflour, for thickening
1 tbsp lemon juice
Use milk in the end to brush on top of the pie to give a nice golden colour.
Directions for the pastry:
* To make the dough, In a food processor, pulse the dry ingredients together until combined,
* Add the chilled butter& pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse bread crumbs consistency, Now add the chilled ice water 1 Tbl sp at a time & pulse just 2 to 3 times.
* The dough should hold together when squeezed with your fingers but should not be sticky. If you find it dry & little crumbly then add another tsp of water until just combined.
* Turn the dough out on to a clean surface, make a pliable dough.
* Divide the dough into half & shape like a disk. Wrap them separately in plastic wrap & refrigerate for at least 2 hrs or overnight. Remove & let stand for about 30 mins before you roll it out.
* On a lightly floured work surface, roll out half of the dough into 12″ round about 1/8″ thick. Fold the dough onto your rolling pin & gently transfer to a 9″ deep pie dish.
* Unfold & gently press the dough into the bottom & sides of the dish. Trim the edges to the rim of the dish.
* Refrigerate for about 30 mins.
Now Prepare for the filling:
* Stir together the apples, both the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt & corn flour or plain flour etc.
* Cook until the apples are just tender & not mushy. Once the liquid has thickened, remove from heat & add the lemon juice. Let cool for about 30 mins or till room temp.
* Roll out the remaining dough into a 12″ round about 1/8″ thick.Make strips by using a pizza cutter and do weave(do it on the butter paper).. make flowers by using a cookie cutter with the dough scraps.
* Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
* Transfer the apple filling to the pie shell, scatter about 1 to 2 tbsp of butter on top of the filling.
* Gently invert the butter paper over the pie. Press the top & bottom crusts together to seal.
* Brush the entire top crust with the milk wash. Now place the flowers and decorate how you want and again give milk wash for added flowers.
*Place the dish on the preheated baking sheet. Bake for 40 min or until it is crisp & golden brown.
Once done, let cool for at least 1 hrs before serving. When you want to serve re heat apple pie for 30 sec in the microwave and Serve with vanilla ice cream.